Thursday, February 9, 2012

Copy of poem "cock-crow" by rosemary dobson?

australian poet
Copy of poem "cock-crow" by rosemary dobson?
Wanting to be myself, alone,



Between the lit house and the town



I took the road, and at the bridge



Turned back and walked the way I’d come.





Three times I took that lonely stretch,



Three times the dark trees closed me round,



The night absolved me of my bonds;



Only my footsteps held the ground.









My mother and my daughter slept,



One life behind and one before,



And I that stood between denied



Their needs in shutting-to the door.











And walking up and down the road



Knew myself, separate and alone,



Cut off from human cries, from pain,



And love that grows about the bone.









Too brief illusion! Thrice for me



I heard the cock crow on the hill



And turned the handle of the door



Thinking I knew his meaning well.
poison ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment