Sunday, February 5, 2012

How long will duck fat last?

Question: I have duck fat that I used to make duck confit from this past winter/spring. It has been in my frig in a tub, and I just checked it. And unlike in the past, there is no mold on the fat, and it actually smells like the tyme/rosemary that I made confit with. I usually use the fat for other things, like frying potatoes. Anyone know if the fat has become rancid. I really smells fine, although it has been 6 months since the last usage. Thanks
How long will duck fat last?
I am a former chef and used it alot and it keeps if stored right and not touch with a contaminated spoon or other utensil, I have seen it last 6 month and if frozen for 1 year.



I to like to use it for cooking potatos, the french Lyonnaise style, hash browns and even swiss rosti are nice with it, I find it has such nice flavour, unlike chciken fat it has a much richer and deeper flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment